Sunday, April 8, 2012

Integrating Literacy into Classrooms that Work

This week I read the Cunningham and Allington chapter and the Pinnell article. These articles were very helpful for me to visualize how to integrate all of the wonderful literacy activities I have learned into a classroom full of children with different ability levels and different interests.

The Cunningham and Allington chapter, which goes through how a day at different grade groups may work, gave me wonderful ideas of how to teach reading and writing with every subject. Writing predictions about math lessons is not only helpful for math, but can be useful for practice of writing, spelling and critical thinking as well. Also, integrating literacy activities into science and social studies can help expand vocabulary and spelling with more advanced words that are relevant to young children. This will help them learn and retain the words much easier.

The Pinnell article presented 8 teaching principles for every teacher, whatever type of situation they may be in as far as their independence level. We have all witnessed or heard about how difficult it is to teach creatively when teachers are given strict plans to follow in the classroom. This article given ideas to keep in mind and was to use creative ideas along with prescribed lesson plans. The ways of working with children of different ability levels are also helpful because that is one thing that I am worried about as I am getting closer to possibly having my own classroom. I encourage you to think about what in the classroom you are worried about? What is something you have learned to deal with that situation?
         

4 comments:

  1. I read the same articles and really liked how they laid out how to make a classroom work and think that these models will be really useful in a classroom one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read the Pinnell article. It made me think about how important it is to try new things in the classroom. One of my biggest faults is being afraid to fail and I think this article encouraged me to try things in the class. You never know if something is going to work unless you try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also worried about working with students that have different ability levels. A lot of models in this article would be really useful in my future classroom.

    ReplyDelete